My name is Daniel and I am from Germany. I study Agricultural Biologyspecialisation landscape ecology- at the university of Stuttgart-Hohenheim. I am at the moment in my 9^th university semester (third semester of Master degree). During the study period I pointed out that the soil science is the topic witch I like the most. Due to this I took part in some basic courses about soil science, but I also did some specific courses such as German soil science law, soil management or soil protection. I also like the way how my study is organized. It is a combination of theoretical courses and fieldtrips. This combination leads to a better understanding of landscape ecology with the different interactions.
I want to take part in this course because I want to learn more about the climate change, because in my opinion it gets more and more important in future. A further reason for choosing this course is to get to know other opinions on this topic. I aspect to get to know weather the opinion on climate change differs or is just the same in Spain, compared to that one I already have heard in Germany.
An answer to the question, if climate change is only man made or if it would even happen in this time is important for me to get. Furthermore I expect answers to the intensity of climage change (if it is a slow or fast changing).
Hi Daniel,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations for your blog! You finally managed!!
From what you say about your degree. It has many things in common with our degree in Environmental Sciences. The combination of theory and field experience is definitively an asset.
One important thing that you have to learn from the very beginning of this course is the difference between "climate change" and "global change". You can have a look to the article in wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_change. In brief, climate change is one of the main global changes that the Earth system is experiencing, but there are several other changes that operate at planetary level such as: land-use change, biodiversity loss, changes in the biogeochemical cycles, or biological invasions.
In terms of boundaries, when Rockstrom talks about them https://theglobalchange.wikispaces.com/Background+and+Objectives , he mentions that maybe the climate change problem is the easy one to solve. In this video and in the presentation by Chapin on Earth Stewardship (it will be available soon in www.youtube.com/user/caescgtv) you can see that there are lots of evidences on the human origin of the global changes that we are observing in many fields.
About your blog, let me make you a suggestion, could you try to change the default language of your blog into English? That makes it easier for your classmates and for us to click on the proper buttons.
Cheers y enhorabuena!!!
Domingo
PS: Please, do not hesitate to speak in English in class.
Hi Daniel! Congratulations on your blog and welcome to Almeria. I hope you are enjoying the city much, as you could see is totally different from Germany, making sure you learn many different things about how it affects climate change here. A greeting.
ReplyDelete